View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tiger49
BU for a men's "wreck" game last night.

R2- 2 out slow roller to F6 charging R2 runs the baseline until he reaches the path of the ball stops really early to let the ball "go by" he said that what he was doing, but distracts F6 in his attempt to field the ball. At about the age of 40 F6 wasn't going to charge into R2 like a "skilled" player would. Called R2 out on the interference even though no contact was made. Probably wouldn't have called it at a higher level, but then again it wouldn't happen at a higher level. R2 then bi**hed for about 2 min but I didn't dump him. I'm not a nice guy (early beer) no way.
I guess the unspoken question here is "Did I make the right call, given there was no contact?" My answer to that would be an unequivocal "Yes", so long as you believe the R2's actions hindered, impeded or confused the F6 in his legitimate attempt to field the batted ball.

Like BFair, I wouldn't hesitate to make a call of "Time! That's interference", even though no contact was made, IF the runner does something other than he was supposed to do - and sometimes even if he doesn't. The classics are:
  • Deliberately delaying the advance in order to arrive at a point on the base path at the same time as the ball,

• Hurdling the ball in front of the fielder, or

• Continuing to run the base path in front of the fielder when the fielder is in close proximity to field the ball.
The last two are the most common, IMO. Most runners believe that they have a right to the base path at all times, even when the fielder needs to field the ball. They don't. The runner has an obligation to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball. If he cannot run in FRONT on the base path without confusing the fielder, then he should leave the base path and run BEHIND the fielder or even wait until the ball has passed the base path before continuing to advance.

Remember, the rules allow that making contact IS interference (OBR 7.09l), but they certainly do NOT preclude interference when no contact has occurred (OBR 7.08b).

Hope this helps

Cheers