View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
The problem with DEFO batting illegally as B10 as the basis for making a ruling, there is no B10. The legal batting order positions are B1-B9. If she is coming to bat, it must be for one of those positions (legally or illegally, in order or out of order).
I think I understand what you're saying. When the DEFO comes to bat improperly as B10, the only way to interpret it is that it is an unreported substitute for B1. And, an illegal substitute at that!

Fine, that would be easy to handle. But once the DEFO has batted and a pitch has been thrown to the next batter, rectifying the situation becomes problematic.

If the DEFO is on base and her hit advanced or scored other runners, what do you do about that considering that the count on the current batter is 1-1?

When B1 comes to bat immediately following B10 (the DEFO) and has already received a pitch, how do you handle the claim that B1 is now batting out of order?

This is pretty sticky.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN [/B]
If you are going to assume the DEFO batted as an illegal sub for B1, then B1 appearing next is an illegal reentry. The DEFO is not a batter, so it's like any player not in the game appearing anywhere in the order.

IGNORE THIS, ALSO:
Even though there is only B1 - B9 (as I said, "B10" is "impossible"), that is what makes the DEFO an illegal tenth batter, confirmed when B1 appears.

[Edited by CecilOne on Jul 15th, 2003 at 10:25 AM]