View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I liked it...and I think it's right and the reason they removed the other play from the case book and the reason this play is called a block. Having said that, iv'e screwed up before and i'm sure i will again.

All I've seen so far is player entitled to spot on floor provided he get there first. Got it, but that doesnt mean lying down is a legal position. the player standing as i mentioned has a spot. He was there forever. But because his elbows are sticking out that's a foul. Even if B1 runs near him on purpose. he cant be beyond his plane. when you are lying down your feet are on one end. vertical plane goes up. the rest of you is horizontal, out of your vertical plane...just like the screener.

so tell me the screwup. thx
They remove things from the case book, not to change them, but to make space for new interpretations in other areas. They have to remove something when adding something so they don't have to keep adding pages and printing costs. When they want to change a ruling, they don't silently remove it, they replace it with one or more new ones that express the new ruling.

The player lying on the floor is in a legal position (in NFHS only). If they stick up their arm or leg and trip a player with it, they're not. Exactly the same principle as your standing player. A stationary player owns their space from head to toe regardless if their orientation is vertical or horizontal . If that player sticks a limb outside the frame of their torso and causes contact, they have fouled. If they do not stick a limb outside of the frame of their torso, they are legal.