View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jfurdell
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
My suspicion is in 2003 it is a double foul under 5-2-2 because according to the rules and even a conversation with Jerry Diehl a double foul and possession do not change with post-scrimmage kick fouls. Since both fouls occurred before change of possession, it is back to the previous spot, 4th and 10.
This is one of those contradictions that needs to be addressed (http://mysite.verizon.net/~jfurdell/):

A statement in the comments that the receiving team must have "clean hands" until a scrimmage kick crosses the expanded neutral zone implies that team possession changes when the kick crosses the expanded neutral zone. This implication is backed up by Football Fundamental I-3 (page 66), which states "A loose ball is in possession of the team whose player was last in possession unless post-scrimmage kick applies."

However, such a change in team possession is not explicity stated in the rules (Rule 2-32-2 defines team possession). [/B]
That was my initial question, when does possession change. The answer was the there has been no change of the time when possession changes. If you read the Case Book it implies possession changes when a player takes possession (both team and player) and delinates fouls by R after that possession change as post-possession fouls. But Fundamental I-3 adds a caveat to possession of a loose ball "unless post-scrimmage kick applies." That sounds as if team possession should change on crossing the ENZ.