View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 12:03am
Stubborn Member

Should We Have Fixed It?

I messed up (surprise, huh?).

I was the lead and had a foul against A12 for pushing during a rebound. However, the players reacted as if the foul was on a member of Team B, and I second-guessed myself. I figured that I must have had a brain fart and A12 was the player that got fouled. But I didn't get a look at the player for Team B involved in the play, and went to a partner to see if he saw it. Turns out that he didn't know who the foul was on, but my other partner said it was on B5.

So... basically, there was a foul on A12, but I called it on B5.

I in-bound the ball and we go the other way, nothing really happens, and the ball is hit out of bounds. The partner that told me the foul was on B5 stops play and approaches me. He says that the foul was on A12... I had it right originally. He points out that we're within the time to correct an error, but I tell him that it's not a correctable error. I messed up, and we have to go with it.

The coach for Team B wants to know what the hold-up is, and I tell him that I messed up, and the foul was against A12. But I tell him it's not a correctable error, so we have to go with it. I apologize for the mistake, and the game goes on.

Thankfully Team B pulls away at the end and wins by 7, so my mistake doesn't affect the outcome. But I have to ask... did we do things right? We can't correct that error, right?

BTW, I don't know why my partner told me the foul was on B5, only to turn around not 30 seconds later and tell me I was originally right. And I learned to ignore how the players react, and just call it. Sure, sometimes how the players react can help you (like if you're not sure the foul was during a shot, and the fact the players start to lineup right away leads you to go with a shooting foul), but for the most part just do your thing.