View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Every year at our NFHS interps meeting I ask this question: "when will the NFHS implement a Restricted Area semi-circle marking under the basket on the floor of highschool gymnasia? Like they have in college and nba?"

And, each year I get the canned response from whomever is leading the discussion: "we don't need one because our refs have good judgement."

In this present video case the officials would have been greatly aided by having such a reference marking on the floor. It appeared that the defender established LGP far enough from the front end of the rim (i.e., was not under the rim). Although spectacular, the dunk was a charge. I call "charge", then "taunting" T--as the taunt was egregious.
Why would that matter? Distance form the rim should be no part of deciding if this play is or is not a charge or block in a HS game. If you are basing your calls in a HS on where the defender is you are getting many of those calls wrong.

If you're working NCAA or NBA games, then the location does matter. But, you have the markings there too.

You can't call HS games by NCAA rules and be right when the rules are different.