View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 08:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The members of my local IAABO board appreciate our assignment commissioner with a salary of $30,000.00. There are 325 members who pay a set amount each year in dues ($125.00), and a percentage fee (7%) of the money we earn in our game assignments. Our assignment commissioner assigns about 70 high schools (freshman, junior varsity, varsity, girls, boys) and a large number of public middle schools. We also have an assistant commissioner who earns $2,000.00 and assigns high school scrimmages, and Special Olympics Unified Games.

Regarding our Catholic middle school league, our assigner charges the 16 schools $125.00 each ($2,000.00 total) to assign boys, and girls, "varsity", and "junior varsity" games. Each team plays a ten, to twelve, game schedule. We have about 40 officials in our group. No dues, no assignment percentage fees.
It's not an easy job.

I became an assigner in July. 21 schools, I hire officials for 9 varsity sports. I had never been to a track meet or a wrestling match or a high school volleyball match before July.

One way to show appreciation rarely mentioned - make sure all your decisions are supportable by your assigner and assume everything is on video cause it is. I had a coach ejected last week from a game. After the ejection, I sat down and watched the video with the athletic director of the schoo with no preview. In such an instance, I want to be able to point at the conduct of the coach and describe the proper steps taken by the crew before, during, and after the ejection.

Of course we get paid for this. Why wouldn't we?