View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I know that slapping the backboard is neither a technical foul or a violation.

I'm not certain what to do if my partner calls it. What if I'm the R? What if I'm the U/U1/U2?

I believe I should stop the game and have a brief conversation about it with my partner and hope that I can quickly change his mind and changes his call to an inadvertent whistle. Depending on his experience relative to mind would determine how much I would encourage him to change his call. I would tell him that we would discuss it at halftime or after the game. Of course, it would not be a correctable error at that point.

Does that seem like a reasonable approach?
It can be a technical foul in some circumstances (as addressed earlier in the thread). In NFHS, it cannot be a BI violation. So if your partner calls BI, I might go share the information I have if it appeared he/she called BI only because of the backboard slap. If you're not satisfied with the response, try to explain how that's not BI in NFHS in five seconds or less. If that doesn't sway him/her, just move on and talk about it later. No use having a clinic while everyone's waiting.

Again, as highlighted in the Gonzaga vs. BYU thread, slapping the backboard while the ball is in the cylinder can be a violation under NCAA rules. But don't call it that way in high school.