View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Angry What Rubbish!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
Getting help and changing an obviously blown call is neither wrong nor illegal.
I am not saying it should always be done, nor am I saying it should be used as crutch for initially poor judgment calls. What I am saying, however, is that it is not illegal for the responsible official to change his judgment call---under any set of baseball rules. OBR supports it, PBUC supports it, Fed supports it, and NCAA supports it. None will tell you that it is good mechanics. However, it is preferred to correct an obvious mistake instead of living with an obviously poor call---OBR, PBUC, and NCAA specifically state that while the Fed examples it in caseplay.
Rubbish! OBR 9.02(a) says:
    Any umpire's decision which involves judgement, such as, but not limited to, whether a batted ball is fair or foul, whether a pitch is a strike or a ball, or whether a runner is safe or out, is final. No player, manager, coach or substitute shall object to any such judgement decisions.{my emphasis}
Furthermore, OBR 2.00 defines ILLEGAL as "contrary to these rules".

Taking the two provisions and using them properly in concert you get the following facts:
  1. Judgement decisions are NOT appealable, or even open to question

2. Any player, manager, coach or substitute who objects to a judgement decision is clearly in breach of the provisions of Rule 9.02(a) - regardless of how polite was their approach or how "right" they feel they may be on the facts as they saw them.

3. Appealing a judgement decision contrary to the provisions of Rule 9.02(a) is ILLEGAL, because that act IS "contrary to these rules".

4. Changing a judgement decision that the rule describes as "final" is also "contrary to these rules" and so ILLEGAL by definition.
It is certainly NOT illegal for an umpire to change his mind on any judgement call. But that should only occur BEFORE he has made a decision AND BEFORE he has been approached by a participant objecting to or "appealing" that decision. It IS "illegal" - ie. "contrary to these rules" - for a judgement decision to even be questioned by a participant, much less changed as the direct result of such an illegal objection or appeal.

Only RULE MISAPPLICATIONS are properly open to appeal under OBR 9.02(b) and (c). Take note that 9.02(c), mandating the seeking of help from another umpire in response to an appeal, ONLY applies in respect of such RULE MISAPPLICATIONS and clearly does NOT apply in regard to JUDGEMENT DECISIONS. Getting help otherwise would be "contrary to these rules, and so also ILLEGAL by definition!

I do NOT propose to have anything further to say to BFair on this subject. I believe I have set the record straight with this post in response. I will NOT be drawn into a protracted debate with BFair over such ridiculous claims as have been made here. BFair well knows my views on the subject, and is merely trolling for the reopening of an old argument. He's out of luck!

Cheers

[Edited by Warren Willson on Jul 12th, 2003 at 08:13 AM]