View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
You got "caught in quicksand". Fortunately, in officiating, the survival rate is 100%. The cure is the buzzer and 0:00 showing on the scoreboard. Analyze what happened to land you in quicksand in the last game and learn from it. Put this one out of your memory and move on (quickly, if possible) to your next game.The next one is almost always better.
I can't stress the above point enough to hammer that into your head if you've had a 'bad' game. Last Friday I didn't have a varsity game so I worked a freshman game. Partner was a younger official, but capable one. We had a good pregame. Game was a blowout, but there were several screwups on my part. First call of the game I got the call right but didn't catch whether the shot dropped on a shooting foul (it did) and then I forgot the shooter.

Later in the game we had a blarge situation (its been a LONG time since that happened). I just wasn't happy with my performance at all. On the drive home I was telling myself to not let this game beat you next week.

Fast forward to last night and I had a BV game. Game was a blowout, working with a good partner and last Friday's game didn't beat me. Didn't have any obvious mental errors and the game was as smooth as can be. It was just a matter of me refocusing mentally and blocking out the last game. Didn't register to me at all before or during the game about my less than stellar performance the previous Friday.

We all have bad games and games we aren't happy about. Forgetting about the last game, but still learning from it is a key development in any officials growth in my opinion....