View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 13, 2015, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
you are missing the point from the OP … he asked if you pass on the foul SINCE they are going to get an easy layup

My post interpreted is … "DONT PASS ON A FOUL BECAUSE YOU THINK THE TEAM SHOULD GET AN EASY SCORE AND YOU DONT WANNA TAKE THAT AWAY!" they just may miss it and then you put yourself in a pickle
His scenario wasn't very cut and dry and i outlined the 2 possible outcomes, that without seeing the extent of the contact you cannot say either or.

There are many officials that see a 150lb. guard fly into a 230lb. forward and call a foul on the bigger player simply because the contact "appeared" severe due to the size discrepancy. To comment that what is described in a rather vague sense that either one or the other may occur is wrong.

The thought process is correct that we don't negate a foul simply because a team *may* score and easy bucket, but we also know in these circumstances the level of contact and RSBQ is skewed towards the offensive team. And has been pointed out earlier the contact on a ball handler versus any other player has different standards for acceptable contact.

So the answer is not black or white in this case. If the question didn't have a hypothetical scenario then your answer is 100% correct, however the scenario is vague as to how do we judge contact in a hypothetical without specifying something like "the contact was very obvious and a foul". I covered the 2 scenarios, and I don't think I said that I would pass on a foul simply because of an easy layup. I commented on my response to a very common cause and effect scenario that coaches try and stick us with.

Because of uncalled contact X on Y spot of the floor Player A1 missed a layup.

Usually this is an issue with coaches *when* A1 misses a layup and is faulty logic. My response addresses the action that the coach is really upset with. The missed layup, not the no-call.