View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PatF
How should this situation have been handled and what should have been the final ruling?
Just for the record, I agree with Rich and Garth that you shouldn't have entertained the coach's request to even check with your partner on that judgement decision. See OBR 9.02(a) for the possible consequences of the coach's action.

That said, here is how you are expected to handle these situations:
  1. Only get help from your partner BEFORE you make a call on the play, and then only if absolutely necessary

2. If you were unsighted, point to your partner and ask "Bill, did he hold the base?"

3. When your partner responds, THEN make your "Safe" or "Out" call as appropriate. Make sure you include the "He was OFF the bag" call, and signal with both arms sweeping away from the base in the direction the fielder was off the base.

4. NEVER ask AFTER you've made your judgement call AND you've been approached by a manager or coach, as a matter of good game management.
You can change your own mind on any judgement call, even though that's evidence of bad mechanics, although some calls are NOT reversable once they've been made during live play. But once you have been approached by a participant, only clear rule misapplications should result in any variation to your original call. Judgement calls are NOT protestable. If a coach approaches you after you've made such a call, simply say
    "Sorry, coach, that's a judgement call and I've already made my decision. If I had your view on the play I might have seen it differently. That's baseball."
Hope this helps.

Cheers

[Edited by Warren Willson on Jul 11th, 2003 at 06:58 PM]