Thread: Rec. games
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Rut has a point!

I agree with Rut's assessment of doing "Adult wannabe NBA stars" rec league games. I picked up a full schedule of adult rec league games at the company I work for. They play with slightly modified (running clock, two halves, etc)Nat Fed rules. This will be the first and ONLY year I do these games!

I have only encountered two advantages to working rec league games. First, the games tend to move at a quick pace and a referee is typically scheduled for a number of games in one day and a referee can get A LOT of exercise. Second, I can work on my mechanics without being scrutinized or having them matter that much (but I still work on them).

The drawbacks I have encountered: Beligerent players (whom I handle with Nat Fed rules, refs who only do REC league ball and don't undestand fumble-dribble-fumble, and an extreme variance in the level of play from player to player.

I honestly see a lot better ball at the Freshman and Junior Varsity level. The same kinds of fouls and violations are commited and my mechanics are more important. I am forced to be conscientious so I am forced to try to use good mechanics.

BUT, I also understand "giving something back to the league that helped get you started on your refereeing career."