View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 10:29am
Stubborn Member

This is how we do it in central Ohio (slight differences from here, but mainly the same)...

1. Get the captains together at 18:00
-I usually say something along the lines of... "Who is the captain? You're the one that we'll go to if we need to relay information to your team, and vice versa. Now... nobody came to see us (the officials). You're representing yourselves, your team mates, coaches, school, and parents. So go out there and play hard, show good sportsmanship, and have a great game." Sometimes I'll point out all the kids in the gym and let the players know that those kids look up to them, so set a good example. Pump 'em up a little bit while reminding them to show good sportsmanship and play hard.

2. Check the book at 12:00
-introduce myself to scorers and timer, check that rosters and starters have been presented to the head scorekeeper, sign book (I'll initial the book after the last player written, so I can tell if somebody's been added), check equipment, and go over any special instructions (two horns for a TO, pre-game ceremonies, etc).

3. Meet with coaches at 2:30
-I skip the whole "is everybody legally and properly equipped", as it doesn't matter if they say "yes" or "no". I go over the coach's box, let me know about a 30 or full TO (or if you're in a hurry have an assistant let me know the type of TO you want), and any special instructions (last night they had an issue in the JV game where players would check-in at the corner of the table instead of going to the head scorekeeper, so I had to make sure the coach told his players to go to the scorekeeper... the one wearing the striped shirt).