View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
First, I wish that the piece about the courtesy runner that is in Rule 8-10 was included as part of Rule 4. But anyhoos...

This may have been discussed in an earlier string, but I was unable to locate it.

Doesn't it appear that the penalty for an unreported CR is much harsher than a normal unreported substitute runner? If a coach was very rules knowledgeable and was confronted with that situation, it might be to his advantage to not claim the sub was a CR but rather a normal substitution.

Has there been any discussion at the upper levels to get these to be more in balance? Why so harsh on the CR not reporting?

8-10-G: A courtesy runner must be reported to the plate umpire.
EFFECT: - If a courtesy runner fails to report or violates the courtesy runner rule they are considered an illegal runner and shall be disqualified.

4-6-C: A substitute who enters the game without reporting is considered an unreported substitute:

-5. When a runner and that runner is brought to the attention of the umpire BEFORE a pitch, legal or illegal, or a play made:
EFFECT: No penalty. Replace the unreported substitute with the correct player or enter them as a legal substitute.
-6. When a runner and that runner is protested AFTER a pitch, legal or illegal, or a play made:
EFFECT: The runner is officially in the game. Any advance of the runner(s) is legal.

There doesn't seem to be any real penalty for an unreported sub that is a runner.
Wait, are you expecting full consistency in the rules? ?

Obviously different authors, different time.

I have though a few times about your Rule 4 point, but I guess they think (?) as a CR is not a sub, it only applies to a running situation. Again, one specific author, off & "running" on his/her own.