Thread: Rec. games
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 03:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Obviously, rainmaker I am not talking about a spring and summer league. Often times these leagues are where players that play on varsity teams or lower level players play together and run offenses and defenses that they do during the regular season.

I am talking about rec. leagues (and this could be a regional thing) that are far outside the supervision of school coaches and administrators that you would be involved in during a NF game of some kind. At least where I am from, you would never see a HS player or even JH player for that matter playing in a rec.league during the season. And really most of the rec. ball that I am even talking about is "Adult" leagues. In those they run no offenses for the most part, and if they do they run what I call the four star offense (4 players above the 3 pt. line standing still, while having one post player in the middle). And the problem with these types of leagues is that half the players stand on one end while the rest try to do the Laker fastbreak of the 80s.

Yes you can work on hand mechanics and some positioning, but the things you do not see can hurt you. And if you do HS and JH games, at least you will never see that kind of play that you see in rec. leagues.

Now over the years of my openly critical views on this, I have come to realize that some people do rec. leagues during and after the season for HS and JH kids that play during the regular season. But that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the lowely adult NBA and WNBA wannabe leagues that former players and some players that never played in their life telling you how much you stick as an official.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Rut,

I worked at the Hoop last spring and summer because I wanted to get in as many more games as I could before this year. It's a great way to get exercise, and I don't have to pay a gym membership! I've gotten used to the parents and the coaches, and I enjoy the children, most of the time, expecially the younger ones. Dealing with the attitude and the criticism has taught me how to be a better parent. So I am gaining more than enough benefits to make up for the abuse.
[Edited by JRutledge on Dec 27th, 2000 at 02:52 AM]