View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 03:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot

NFHS: Photographer Outside Media Area

Perusing the FED Case Book, I came across this play:

Quote:
5.1.1 SITUATION H: A ball thrown wildly to third base touches a photographer who is standing (a) inside or (b) outside the designated media area. RULING: In (a), the ball is dead immediately. In (b), the ball remains live. The photographer shall be instructed to remain in the designated media area. (1-1-7; 2-2-3; 5-1-1o)
Say what?? Why wouldn't 8-4-3k be more appropriate here? Shouldn't a photographer outside of his/her designated area be considered a de facto spectator, and the ball be killed immediately, allowing the umpires to award runners any bases they judged appropriate? I have a hard time allowing the ball to remain Live when a bonehead photographer affects play outside of his/her box.

The Definition of Blocked Ball also comes to mind, since the live ball is "touched...by a person not engaged in the game".

I've seen situations where a photographer will pick up his/her gear to move from one designated media area to the other, with total disregard that play is still Live. I've never seen him/her affect play, but it's quite possible. What if there's a pop foul near the area, and the photographer, thinking he/she needs to vacate the space to allow the fielders a chance to make the play, does so and inadvertently hinders the fielder most likely to make the catch. I guess from the implication of the case play, this is treated as no harm, no foul, right? That doesn't seem correct, in my mind.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker