View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I don't believe in saying that more umpires are needed. Two umpires are standard in amateur baseball just about everywhere in the US. We aren't getting three so we shouldn't lean on that. Ever.

...[snip]...

I'm most inclined to go with Friex here -- I would be happy to say, "If what you saw happened, coach, we missed it. We'll work harder." Doesn't mean we will, naturally, but I think it heads off any ugliness.

Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Jul 10th, 2003 at 07:44 PM]
Like I said, Rich, "some of my colleagues" might have suggested they "pay for more umpires". I agree that's a reda$$ response, but I understand where it's coming from. The colleague(s) in question work a league where the standard taunt is "You're not worth the $25.00!". Just for the record, that's all.

BTW, I like your response WAY better than that other ill-informed admission, because yours clearly acknowledges the difference of opinion and position with an "IF". I would NEVER admit to a coach that I specifically did NOT see a play exactly as I called it, because that's the same as saying I have misapplied the rule. If you didn't see the catch at all, then you shouldn't have called it. Mick and his partner both believed they SAW a catch, and that's what they called, so your response is certainly much more appropriate.

Cheers