Thread: Catchers balk?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
There is no such animal as a "catcher's balk".

I called a balk on a LHP in a Pony League game about 30 years ago. R2, "D" going to give an intentional walk. Pitcher stretches, and F2 jumps out about six feet outside catcher's box, BEFORE the release of the pitch. I call "BALK", then explained why to the pitcher ("you did nothing, your catcher did), both managers, both stands, and resumed game. Not one squawk from anyone.

In 44 seasons, that was the ONLY time that happened.

Bob
The offenses described under OBR 4.03(a) and OBR 7.07 are each commonly referred to as a "catcher's balk", but most of us also realise that a balk is an illegal act committed by the pitcher, not the catcher. However, in neither rule case is there any illegal act committed by the pitcher, so by definition there should be no balk. That notwithstanding, in both cases the Balk penalty is expressly and specifically applied under the rule! Go figure. I personally believe that there are good reasons for that.

In Australia we have been instructed NOT to apply OBR 4.03(a) EXCEPT on the last pitch of an intentional walk, and then ONLY if it was so blatent a breach that it could not reasonably be ignored. According to Evans the pro's are instructed to ignore the rule altogether. I personally disagree with either direction, as I explained in my article at Officiating.com entitled Defending the Catcher's Balk. And please note that I too knew there was no such thing as a "catcher's balk" when I wrote that article. But neither Roger nor I can help by what terms most people commonly refer to these two rule offenses. You might as well try to hold back the tide as to attempt to change the perceptions of so many over so small a point.

Cheers