View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
FWIW, here is why that is not a good idea: Had a coach who, while his team was shooting a free throw would have A7 report and following the made free throw A7 was brought in. The coach would immediately change his mind and ask for A7 to return to the bench. In the meantime, of course, Team A had plenty of time to set up their press. The coach really didn't want anyone to come out. Fortunately, the officials recognized that crap very quickly and told the coach A7 is in. Someone HAS to come out.
I agree with most of the comments that by rule in my original situation, an A player must leave the game (I don't think it has to be A2) and I think your situation is a good example of why the rule is the way it is. But also in my original situation, A was bringing in A6 anyway, so the officials are going to keep the ball from becoming live regardless of whether or not a player must leave the game. Is there a common sense explanation as to why, in my original situation, I'm telling A's coach that one of his player has to leave the game? I'm fully supportive of enforcing the rule to the letter here, I'd just want something to say to a coach beyond "that's the rule, sorry."