View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 11:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Freedom Of Movement ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The mere fact that contact occurs does not constitute a foul. Incidental contact is contact with an opponent which is permitted and does not constitute a foul. Contact, which occurs unintentionally in an effort by an opponent to reach a loose ball, or contact which may result when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive or offensive moves, should not be considered illegal, even though the contact may be severe. Contact which does not hinder an opponent from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered incidental.
In light of the new Freedom of Movement restriction rules (placing two hands on the player, placing an extended arm bar on the player, placing and keeping a hand on the player, contacting the player more than once with the same hand or alternating hands), I have considered removing the phrase "Contact which does not hinder an opponent from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered incidental" from the paragraph quoted above.

I really don't want to since the phrase is still stated in 4-27:

Incidental contact is contact with an opponent which is permitted and which
does not constitute a foul.
ART. 1 The mere fact that contact occurs does not constitute a foul. When
10 players are moving rapidly in a limited area, some contact is certain to occur.
ART. 2 Contact, which may result when opponents are in equally favorable
positions to perform normal defensive or offensive movements, should not be
considered illegal, even though the contact may be severe.
ART. 3 Similarly, contact which does not hinder the opponent from
participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered
incidental.

Comments?

Is it worth it to adding the new Freedom of Movement rules to the "List"? I'm really not too excited about making the "List" longer than it currently is.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 27, 2014 at 02:46pm.