Thread: Todd Von Sossan
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
That, of course, is the problem. And if you can't tell for sure, you have nothing. But to flatly state "he gets two steps" can only make matter worse. Also I find this coupled with the phrase "on a drive to the basket" to be problematic. More than a few people think the traveling rule is different when a shot is involved. "He gets two steps on a layup. Everybody knows that."
At the gym a few years ago, I had a similar argument with several other guys who were 100% convinced a post move was a travel (I believe it was a step and scoop shot, but not sure). I tried to analogize to a layup as it was essentialy the exact same foot sequence that makes a layup legal -- while agreeing it was essentially the same, they collectively "knew," however, that a layup was different and what I did was travelling . . . in coaching MS, I don' even bother worrying about travelling calls at all -- If ind them so hopelessly inconsistent that they aren't worth worrying about; I can just teach kids to do it right and hope for the best . . .