Thread: Todd Von Sossan
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Is this somebody I should have heard of? We got an instructive e-mail sent out by association brass this week and he was the writer. Part of it was about traveling. Started out solid enough:

The prescribed limits described for traveling differ slightly depending on if the player who catches the ball has both feet on the playing court, one foot on the playing court, or is airborne and has no feet on the playing court.

But then, later in the same article, it says, among other things:

On a drive to the basket, when a player ends his dribble and collects the ball, he is permitted 2 steps prior to releasing the ball on a shot or a pass. Count the steps: 1-2 is legal; 1-2-3 is not. If you get to 3 and the offensive player is still holding the ball, call a traveling violation.

Anybody else got a problem with this?
I also have a problem with it. rule clearly says pivot foot can be lifted but not returned to the floor before shoot or pass. others talked a few weeks ago about not counting steps just sighting this provision. if you are going to count i think the correct number is 1.5. end dribble with right foot on floor (pivot foot). step forward with left (1 step) bring right, pivot foot, up in air forward but release ball before it hits ground, the .5. if that right foot hits before i release the ball that is 2 steps and illegal. pivot foot was lifted and returned to the floor before release of ball.