View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Don't think of it as "lost", the rule (at least in NCAA...I'm too tired/lazy to look up the FED rule right now, but I'm about 95% sure it's the same) is that the issue occurs if the players helmet comes completely off during the down.

By rule, B81 can only remain in the game if an opponent's foul causes B81's helmet to come completely off. In this case, the hypothetical hands-to-the-face foul did not cause B81's helmet to come completely off... B81 took his own helmet off, so he gets to go to the sideline to put it back on.

I personally don't see anything unsportsmanlike about this particular act, but if you were on my crew and threw a UNS flag on it, I wouldn't try to talk you off of it either. With that said, if you tried to go flagrant UNS for this particular act, I would try to talk you off it. To me, flagrant acts are the 'you know it when you see it' kind of thing, usually with a reaction along the lines "oh HELL no".

Make sense?
Sure it makes sense. It may be that our club is extra sensitive about throwing helmets as a holdover from the recent time in which the club owned the great majority of the helmets. Or maybe they just want to nip bad sportsmanship in the bud. A DQ for UC comes with a suspension from the next game, too, if it's in the same season.

I was just thinking now about what a player should do if, whether from his own fault or not, his helmet comes loose during a down, if he doesn't want to commit IP. If he removes it, it would seem his choices are then to:
  1. exit the playing area
  2. duck away from everyone
  3. stand still & protect himself.
But then I thought, if those are his choices, why is he removing the helmet at all? The only problem I could see with doing those same things while leaving the helmet on would be if the helmet had gotten knocked so askew that it blocked his vision, or if the chin strap were threatening to strangle him.