Thread: PSK
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STEVED21
Are you really going to give K another oppotunity for FG or a 1st down if they miss a long kick and R commits a foul after the kick was grounded?

REPLY: Consider this play in OT at least for those of us who use the NCAA procedure. Team A attempts a long FG. It's coming down short at R's 5, and R12 sees a chance to grab it and head for a winning score. However, he muffs it (still a kick) and it rolls toward R's goal line. K21, covering the kick, sees an opportunity to recover and extend his series first and goal inside R's 5. R12 tackles him to prevent his recovery and the ball rolls into R's end zone. Do we just say, "Tough luck K. It's now R's ball"

I understand your point about semantics and the fact that the Fed does refer to PSK as an "exception" to standard loose ball foul enforcement. But the exception is only in force if the PSK criteria are met. What if they're not? Do we just ignore any fouls by R that don't qualify for PSK, e.g. a face mask by R at the LOS?

I see it as either PSK enforcement (if all criteria are met) or previous spot enforcement (if any of the PSK criteria are not met). In this case, one criteria is not met, i.e. it's during a FG in OT. Therefore, enforce from the previous spot.