View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
On first viewing it looked like a catch to me, although after watching it multiple times I can see a frame where it looked like the ball might have hit the ground. The video is at enough of a different angle for me to believe the covering official might have seen something you can't see in the video.

That said, is there anyone else that the entire down might have needed to be replayed due to offsetting fouls. There appeared to be an illegal block (hands to the face), which was followed by illegal participation of the defensive player who launched his helmet across the field. My understanding of the rule (9-6-4g) is that even if the helmet comes off due to illegal contact from the opponent, you still cannot participate in the play (except for immediate action, which I don't consider chasing the QB to be since he disengaged from the blocker, removed the helmet and then chased the QB). He would not have been required to leave the game (assuming the illegal block is called), but otherwise the illegal participation stands.