View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng View Post
Other major team sports don't have these direct issues:
Football, Soccer and Volleyball have a coin flip to see who has control of the ball first and most officials are outside of the playing area.[snip]

Should we simplify the rules by eliminating the jump ball and focus on correctly judging the fouls and violations (as well as being the fashion police)?
soccer has a dropped ball that involves two players kicking at a ball dropped by the referee from waist height . . . but it is very rare at real levels of soccer . . .

I think we should drop the possession arrow and bring back jump balls on tie ups (we can make an exception for pre-HS girls games). . . . but I've never seen (and until this thread never heard of) a refeee get hurt during a jump. If we aren't going to do the right thing and bring back the jump ball the way God intended, really the only reason to retain to start the game is a nod to history as it is so insignificant -- except, perhaps, at the start of an OT with less time for the arrow to even things out. (And since it is so insignificant, referees have (it appears to me) become worse at throwing the ball, and teams less effective at challenging them -- why practice for or design plays for something so insignifcant. I'm not sure whether I think it will survive -- I suspect it will, mostly because of OT.