View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 02:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
Please don't misunderstand me. Attitudes do have an impact. My argument is that attitudes about race shouldn't matter. Unlike your situation, your association with others was a choice. Race isn't a choice. And attitudes that because of race there should be or has been different treatment are the source of the problem here. Pandering to people's attitudes (with respect to intrinsic, unalterable characteristics) in order to avoid perceptions of bias does nothing to change those attitudes.
Attitudes about where you live should not matter but they do. And that is why at least in Basketball the State of Kentucky has a law about the racial diversity of the officials that work the State Finals or post season. And it is even a law that the officials that work the Kentucky-Louisville football game, cannot be residence from the state of Kentucky as well. When they used to play that game early in the year, many Chicago area officials or Big Ten crews worked that game to avoid that conflict.

I am not talking about what should be the case. I am talking about what is the case. And we can put our head in the sand about what the world should be like, but in this case that issue was raised whether it was valid or not.

I did not say I was supporting the coach in what he said or the claim he made. Just stating that often times how you come up with a crew can help eliminate perceptions that are often held regardless of how true those perceptions might be.

Peace