View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 12:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
No you shouldn't. It should just be the best crew you can get. So if you have two teams with white coaches, the crew should be all white? Then there would be an uproar over not using black officials. Race shouldn't matter. The fact is they enforced from the wrong spot, that's it. It just so happens that 3 of the 5 calling this game were black, including the referee, who has been officiating football for 32 years. Why arent his motives called into question?
What should matter and what does matter are two different things. It was brought up wasn't it?

I did not say that this crew did anything wrong other than the rules application, but I can tell you that this often gets brought up in my state in other sports. Football does not have the type of accomplishment from certain areas so you hardly have this as an issue. But the optics can matter and if you have more diversity, you can avoid this even being mentioned. The "best crew" is subjective anyway. And it obviously mattered in the movie based on a real situation during "High School Lights." It is unfortunate, but it happens.