Thread: Double Foul
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 25, 2000, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Not only have I heard of this happening, I've seen it myself! Yes, there could be a double foul in that situation. Should there have been? No.

First of all, did the officials both give preliminary signals as soon as the call was made? If so, you have to go with the double foul. The only reason that happened was because of poor communication between the officials.

Now, if they didn't give signals before they discussed it, and *then* came out of the conference with the double foul call, that's a different story. They should have came out with one or the other. If they couldn't decide, the referee should have stepped in.

This is one of the situations that proponents of not selling calls point to in bolstering their case. I'm guessing that the officials in this situation both blew the whistle and then immediately "sold" their respective calls. I can see it now - the trail hopping down the sideline doing the block signal and the lead running with his hand behind his head.

Now, if both officials come out that strong with their call, how is it going to look if they then go back and say one of them was wrong? If the officials had taken their time and made good eye contact w/their partner (especially on the strong side), then you have a pretty good chance of avoiding this type of thing.

BTW - I'm not sure though if you should *not* count the basket in this case. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a double foul is not defined as a common foul and therefore this is one of those weird situations in which you could count a basket on a player control foul.