Thread: What you got?
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 11:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
What about contact acts vs. non-players? Like, say, a player slugs an official. That can't be a PF, can it? So it must be UC.
OK, but that has nothing to do with the play described. No official was harmed in this play.

Quote:
I think that's likely what you had in the previously stated scenario: contact by a player vs. a non-player that might be a personal foul (unnecessary roughness) if committed by player vs. player, but would have to be either unsportsmanlike conduct or nothing if committed by a player vs. a sub in the opposing bench area.
If I taunt someone, it can be USC. And PF apply to both players and non-players.

Quote:
If the player(s) in the bench area are deemed to be participating illegally by interfering with play even if out of bounds, do they then instantly become players & hence eligible to be personally fouled? Could the same be true of a trainer, coach, towel boy...?
Well you cannot be a player unless you are one of the 22 in the game. Non-players are anyone including coach, substitute, attendant or replaced player. And the PF Rule 10-4 applies to players and non-players.

Quote:
So I turned to the Fed rules for clarif'n, and came up with...mud. I see unnecessary roughness (contact that is unnecessary and may tend to promote roughness) is identified, like most personal fouls, in terms of contact with an "opponent"...and the rules never define "opponent". I was hoping either the Team Designation or Participation provisions would clarify the matter, but unless someone can explain otherwise, they don't. It is possible for nonplayers to illegally participate by committing acts against an "opponent", but it doesn't seem to say anything about vice versa in cases where the opponent is a player. One might assume that if X is an opponent of Y, Y must be an opponent of X, but that's a thin reed to lean on in this case. And if makes a difference here because whether the action by the player who has unintentionally left the field and gotten embroiled in a situation among the other team's subs is ruled a personal foul or an unsportsmanlike act matters in terms of penalty enforcement. My hunch would be that any fouls by partisans of either team in that situation would have to be considered UC rather than PF.
You could have two fouls here. You could have a PF for the "chest bump" and the getting in the face ans saying things to your opponent. It is just a matter of if you want to call both or one or the other.

Peace