View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon21 View Post
After a technical why isn't the throw in spot (POI) point of interruption....just like it is after an intentional foul?

I saw this "cost" a team in a game I was officiating.....

3 seconds left

Team A 60
Team B 61

Neither team in bonus

Team A gets fouled under the basket they are trying to score at. The foul is not a shooting foul and Team A will not be shooting free throws. The designated throw in spot is outside the lane under the basket they are trying to score at.

Prior to the throw in a technical foul is assessed to Team B.

Team A misses both free throws (but thats not the point)

Now Team A has to take the ball out at half court instead of under the basket where the originally would have. Team A ends up having to launch a desparation shot from much further away than they potentially would have had they been able to run in an bounds play from the original throw in spot under the basket they were trying to score at.

In my opinion, they were put at a disadvantage from the new throw in spot. Being awarded free throws is not the issue here and whether they make them or not doesn't matter.

The procedure for intentional foul free throws is the same as a technical fouls, yet on on intentional fouls we go to POI and technicals we go to half court.

Why are we still doing this?
The NCAA uses POI because it believes on most Ts 2 free throws is enough. Like Adam said, POI results some times in the team receiving the T keeping the ball after the other team shoots its free throws. The NFHS still wants a penalty that always gives the non offending team 2 shots and the ball. It has just declared the ball goes mid court opposite table.

What you are asking for is that the team entitled to the 2 shots and the ball be given the ball where it was located when the T was called. that doesn't sound unreasonable but neither does giving it at mid court. it isn't like your situation happens all the time. if the ball was in the backcourt when the T was given the team would be given an advantage by the mid court rule.

I will say I've coached a team where i would have felt better running and inbounds play under the basket (a stack play, assuming the zebras don't let the other team in) rather than shooting 2 free throws. So I hear what you are saying. However, long before I blamed a rule or asked that it be changed, i'd tell my kids this is why you need to shoot free throws every day…alot of them...and concentrate when you do. I'd also look at all the other shots the team missed, defense, lack of blocking out etc….did i call the right plays or have the right people in the game..that's my two cents.