View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
But if he doesn't meet the requirement of LGP, he must still meet the requirements of screening.

It is illegal to jump in front of a moving opponent without either having LGP or allowing time and distance. LGP just allows a much later arrival to the spot (among other things).
The light is flickering in my head now. I see what you are saying, i think…

1. Legal guarding position says i can be anywhere short of contact of a ball handler if I have two feet down and torso facing ball handler. I don't have to give ball handler time or distance to avoid contact. If I try to jump in at last second while he is dribbling i need to meet those two requirements.

2. a defender who is stationary can face any direction---doesnt need torso turned etc--- as long as the offensive player had time to avoid him he is ok. time and distance must be given.

in the video the defender jumps in the air forward. he loses LGP when he does that. doesn't maintain verticality. he lands sideways. this is not LGP. he doesn't get LGP back. However, if he is stationary when he lands and you determine that Lebron had time and distance to avoid him but chose not to---jumped in--it does not matter that defender didn't have LGP.

the defender is entitled to his spot on the floor. thx