View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Nope. Explicitly legal by a case play somewhere.
New to the forum. I have enjoyed reading it from time to time. Thought I'd join to throw two cents worth in...thx for having me.

I don't think this play is in the case books. A try for field goal is defined as an attempt by a player to score 2 or 3 points by throwing ball in his own basket....player is trying for goal if he has the ball and "in officials judgment" he is throwing or attempting to throw for goal.

In the video the player ends his dribble, throws the ball off the backboard and catches it without it touching another player.

If you, the referee, believe this was a try then when he catches it off the backboard it is a legal rebound. However, if you determine that it is not an attempt to score but simply a pass to himself then the player violates when he touches the ball before anyone else off the board. I don't believe there is any rule or play providing that any ball thrown by the offense against its backboard is always a try.

If there is a case book play please let me know. I would say that I wouldnt call the violation unless it was really, really obvious to all that it was a pass and not a try. I think the video shows a violation.

I wouldn't have processed this quick enough had it happened to me in a game. Having seen the play and the question I hope I will remember it in the future. Again, if I'm wrong and there's a case book play please let me know. Thx