Thread: Bad Partner
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 31, 2014, 02:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
For you to be open to that kind of peer critique is laudable. In fact, for a whole association or assigning pool to be nurtured to have that kinda attitude would really be a benefit. Self-inviting peer critique is an asset towards sure improvement.
I always welcome constructive and productive criticism. I especially crave it from supervisors. There was a five year period before I got picked up in D3 ball that I worked in a JuCo where my closest games were at least a 2 1/2 hour drive. The supervisor was a multiple D1 Final Four official who could nit-pick your game to pieces. There was many a lonely ride home where I would ask myself if I was really good enough to be pursuing this avocation above the HS level.

I finally reconciled myself that he wouldn't bother to spend all that time breaking my game down unless he felt 1) that I could handle it; and 2) that he saw potential me, and felt I was worth the effort.

Now when I get the chance to mentor or observe younger officials I tell them I can either pat you on the back and say "great job", or I can point out those little things you need to work on that will help you move up whatever ladder you're trying to climb.