Thread: Conferences
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 31, 2014, 10:54am
I Bleed Crimson

Now that I have my rule book handy, I found the reference I was talking about last night: 3-5-8
Art. 8 ... Authorized conferences
  1. An authorized conference may be held during:
    1. a charged time-out;
    2. an official's time-out (3-5-7g, 3-5-7k and 3-5-7l); or
    3. if granted by the referee in 3-5-10
  2. Only one type of authorized team conference may be used during:
    1. any charged time-out; or
    2. official's time out (3-5-7g, 3-5-7k and 3-5-7l)
  3. Only an Outside 9-Yard Mark Conference may be held in 3-5-8a(3)
So the particular cases where a sideline ("Outside 9-Yard Mark Conference") are permitted during an official's timeout are "unusual heat or humidity" (3-5-7g), media timeout (3-5-7k), intermissions after the try and at quarter changes (3-5-7l), and injuries (3-5-10). It is the last one that I was particularly interested in.

Last night we had a an injury, the coach on my sideline called his players over and the WH stopped them and said they had to remain between the numbers and that the coach could not come on the field. In the post-game I disagreed, remembering this same argument years ago with another WH. But, after re-reading things, looks like we are both wrong. In 3-5-8a(3) it says "if granted by the referee." So our WH didn't need to allow the conference. But also, there is no requirement that the team stay between the numbers. As CT1 pointed out, as long as the coach stays off the field, all 11 of the team can come over to the sidelines.