View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
First of all, since there were two outs, R1 would not have any need to "break-up" a double play.

The way this play developed was this: the batted ball was a high bouncer up the middle. It just so happened that the ball was going to pass directly over 2nd base. F6 decided that he would position himself on the bag and field it while in contact with the bag - that way, the instant he fielded it, R1 would be forced out. Yet, this was going to be close and R1 was in a race to the bag in an attempt to beat the ball. In the actual play, as it happened in the game, the ball arrived a split second before R1 came sliding into 2nd. An easy call with no controversy. R1 was called out and the inning was over.

But, my question is this: What if R1 beats the grounder to the bag? R1 slides into 2nd and makes significant enough contact with F6 that he cannot field the ball. Obviously, if R1 does something that is overtly intentional, he would be called out for interference. But it's hard to call contact intentional when the fielder is on the bag and the runner is sliding into the bag.

I guess the question is this: Is the fielder protected when he chooses to field a batted ball while positioned on a base? Or, what if F6 chose to field it slightly to the 1st base side of 2nd base - completely blocking R1's access?

I realize that runners have the burden of avoiding interference with any fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball. In fact, the rules allow the runner to actually leave the baseline in an effort to avoid such interference. But that's not really an option when the fielder is standing directly on the bag or slightly to the side of the bag the runner needs to gain access. Remember, this is a force play - so the runner is trying to take the most expeditious route to the bag. He's not going to go around the fielder. It seems particularly unfair to the runner when the fielder is clearly choosing such positioning when he has other options for fielding the ball successfully.

F6 could have easily moved into the infield and fielded this groundball. Yet, he chose to have the ball come to him for the convenience of forcing out R1.
Take the bag out of the play for a moment. We protect the fielder whether he chooses to charge a ground ball or stay back and play the bounce. He gets that luxury; after all, the offense is who put the ball there.

Now let's add the bag back in. The only difference is that now there is the exception for unintentional contact.