View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
R99, this probably won't be an issue because before we shoot the free throws we should have explained to both coaches that we have a correctable error situation and A1 will shoot the merited free throws. In the absence of a specific ruling, we just tell them what basket we are going to shoot at and I'm sure the coaches will be fine with that.
It seems to me, a period is not completed until all activities that are part of that period are finished. Thus, the free throws, as merited in the 1st half, would be shot at the basket assigned to the offended team in that 1st half.

Reference: 5-6-EXCEPTIONS: 3. The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed. No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next, except when a correctable error, as in 2-10, is rectified.

My rationale: Because the change of goals is part of the 2nd half, it must not take place until the 1st half is complete, which includes the free throw attempts in question, at the goal assigned to the offended team in the 1st half. 2-10-6. . . If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point of interruption to rectifiy the error, . . .
JMHO