Thread: Sunshine delay
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Would you stop the game if any of the fielders had the sun in their eyes? Certainly don't stop the game if the umpire has the sun in their eyes?

I never thought of stopping either a softball or baseball game until I read this article because it reminds me of a H.S. baseball diamond here in NW Ohio.

The problem only exists during Summer league games (which all have a 06:00pmEDT start time). MTD, Jr., and I have umpired Summer league games on this diamond as recently as this past Summer.

The diamond's orientation is NW to SE from HP to 2B and sits down in a depression. The Sun problem begins every evening approximately between 07:10pm and 07:20pm and lasts for about 15 minutes.

The F6, F5, and the BU (if he is in the C or D position) cannot see the ball from the time the pitch is approximately two thirds of the way to the plate until the ball is fielded by either the F7 or F8. There has been numerous occasions when I have asked the F6 if he saw the batted ball and his response was not until the outfielder fielded the ball.

It is not a pleasant feeling knowing that you and the infielders cannot see the pitch or the batted ball coming at you.

After reading posts in this thread I am considering the possibility of stopping the game the next time I umpire there during the Summer for the safety of the players. Losing the ball in the Sun is one thing, but not being able to see the pitch or to see the ball come off the bat is another thing.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio