View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:38am
Back from the DL

Two different sports, same day

Sometimes, you get the call from two different assignors, in two different sports.

My youth soccer assigner had two Sunday morning game playoff games, which would wrap around 12:45 pm. Then, my off-season basketball assigner (high/middle school) calls me for two games starting at 1pm, and about a 15-minute drive from the soccer games. I tell the latter assigner it's going to be a tight squeeze, but I can make it. (He's said he could cover for me, as it's fall ball.)

Soccer flies through smoothly. Basketball, astonishingly, is AHEAD of schedule. I roll in at 1:03 (still in my soccer shirt and shorts), but there's only three minutes remaining in my game's first half, and the previous game's game official is covering. He's cool with finishing the half. I take some grief for having the wrong shirt, change into my basketball grays, but keeping the same shorts.

I take over for the second half, pleasantly surprised that all that soccer has kept my legs in condition (although it makes no excuse for the rest of me). After the second half, I go to thank the previous guy, who sticks around to shoot the breeze. He asks about the soccer I do, and I realize I still have my red card in my back pocket (the common place to carry it during games). I show it to him, and he laughs.

"Where was THAT when I needed it today?!"

As it turns out, he had to toss a coach, who didn't like an explanation, and responded with the hand jerk-off gesture. That's a rare treat in these parts, where sportsmanship is commonplace, especially in games that don't matter.

If I'm not mistaken, there are some football guys in this forum, one or two soccer, and some baseball/softball guys. Did I leave any out? Any two-in-one-day anecdotes to report?

Last edited by bainsey; Mon Oct 20, 2014 at 12:41am.