View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 17, 2014, 10:59pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Not needed: ball handler in the trail's primary lifts his pivot foot prior to dribbling but doesn't really go anywhere. Tail could call this, but doesn't. Lead had a great view and nails it.
That's the call that's not needed.
Needed: By sticks his leg out and trips A1 as he drives around B1 at the 3 point line in trail's primary. Tail doesn't call it, but the lead comes up and gets it. That needed to be called.

The threshold is somewhere in the middle, and knowing where it is at any given time is a key to bring a great official.
I understand what you're saying, but there's more that goes into a call/non-call than the actual play. I mean... what time of game is it? Is the game close? Are we talking about kids that are still learning, and don't need a ref that's a stickler for the rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Do you call exactly the same way in a close game that you do in a blowout? Do you call exactly the same way in a varsity game between two good teams and a 3rd grade game between the last and second to last place teams?
Like I said to Adam, there are many factors that go into what needs to be called and what doesn't. But we didn't seem to be talking about a 3rd grade game between the bottom two teams in the league. At least I don't have any supervisors at those games, as the league tends to be happy just to have a competent ref.

Nor did anyone say that we're talking about a blowout. I took things as them occurring under "normal" circumstances. If you want to change the scenario in order to make a point... fine. I'm wrong.