View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 05:08pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think that, in order to be applied consistently, a separation of time will have to erase the fact that there was a touch.

Coverage of a play currently changes through the course of action based on primaries. If we are to apply consider a prior touch from a long time before, there would have to be some way for each official to know what the other officials already saw OR an official would stay on a matchup anywhere on the court if player control had begun in their primary. Neither are practical or even likely to be consistent.

It does't say so in the rule, but I'd suggest that the only way this can be consistently applied is for a prior touch to be ignored if there is enough space between the players such that it is not the same match situation....i.e. no closely guarded count.

Cameron brings up a good point here. Depending upon where the first touch occurred, there is a good possibility I wont even be aware of it. Further, most times, I am not staying with a play once it leaves my primary, so there is a good chance I wouldn't see the second touch.