View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 05:05pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The NFHS rule doesn't either. But say we're in the front court, closely guarded situation and the defender puts a hand on the ball handler. Now say 4 seconds has elapsed and the closely guarded situation has gone away. Now another 4 seconds goes by and the same defender puts his hand on the same ball handler. Are you going to call a foul?

To give a definitive answer, I would have to see a specific play. I know part of the reason for going to these automatics is to make these calls more consistent and eliminate differences in judgment, but with an 8 second separation between touches, I am still treating this as a judgment call. I would lean towards no, I am not calling a foul in the situation described. Establish/maintaining closely guarded position is not written into the rule, but I am most likely treating this as two separate plays once the closely guarded situation is lost. I think the NFHS and NCAA-W are making a mistake by not including the qualifier, continually, found in the NCAA-M wording.

Luckily for me, the few HS games I officiate each season are played in an area where the vast majority of coaches, players, officials, and assignors would view two touches separated by a significant amount of time, the same way I do, as two separate plays. Therefore, I do not expect to have any problems using more of an NCAA-M philosophy in this particular instance.