View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The NFHS rule doesn't either. But say we're in the front court, closely guarded situation and the defender puts a hand on the ball handler. Now say 4 seconds has elapsed and the closely guarded situation has gone away. Now another 4 seconds goes by and the same defender puts his hand on the same ball handler. Are you going to call a foul?
I think that, in order to be applied consistently, a separation of time will have to erase the fact that there was a touch.

Coverage of a play currently changes through the course of action based on primaries. If we are to consider a prior touch from a long time before, there would have to be some way for each official to know what the other officials already saw OR an official would stay on a matchup anywhere on the court if player control had begun in their primary. Neither are practical or even likely to be consistent.

It does't say so in the rule, but I'd suggest that the only way this can be consistently applied is for a prior touch to be ignored if there is enough space between the players such that it is not the same match-up situation....i.e. no closely guarded count.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Oct 14, 2014 at 03:03am.