View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 12, 2014, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Tonight I worked a college fall ball game, and the pitcher tweaked her knee covering home after a passed ball. Coach came out to see if she was OK, and it took her at least a half dozen trial pitches to decide she was good to go.

I was PU. Even though this was fall ball, it was the highest level of ball I have worked (D1 school vs JuCo), and I was doubting myself a bit on the tiny details, which unfortunately is my normal reaction to games that test my umpiring ability. After the game I was looking for rule support for throwing as many as she did. Does NCAA rule 10.19.6 means she can throw as many as she needs? If not, where should we draw the line? After the fourth or fifth one, I wanted to get the game moving again.

I am posting here because I forgot to post-game this with my partners.
You found the rule support. And what does the 10.19.6 say? "The pitcher shall be given adequate time…." So what's your rush?
NCAA rules and interps are pretty consistent in assuring the health and safety of student-atheletes take precedent in these types of situations at all levels…JUCO, DIII, DII, and DI….in the regular season and the non-champioship season ('fall ball').
You have to demonstrate good judgement and good game management skills at this level. As this was a timeout request to attend to an injured player, NCAA mechanics would have you standing in an area close to the circle assuring that the coach was not discussing strategy with he pitcher as she took the warm-ups. Manage the situation through the coach she'll let you know when her pitcher is good to go. If for some reason this doesn't occur, pick the proper spot to simply ask the coach in a quiet and professional manner if she needs more time.