Thread: Hand Signals
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 06, 2014, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The more I hear about the Gold Book and the micromanaging the state does at a ridiculous level on HS officials, the more I'm glad I live elsewhere.

You keep on enjoying your standards. I'll keep enjoying the fact that ours are different.
Up until this year I have been an official in Ohio my whole career. I was one to complain about the micromanagement when the Gold book came in, but now experiencing where everyone seems to do their own thing and having to deal with each of their own thing when working sub varsity, I miss the uniformity. I also miss some of the mechanic differences that Ohio had, particularly the inside - outside coverage on free kick that Ohio mechanic has on free kicks.

I'm sure, much of my discomfort is from having to change mechanics and signals, but I feel that Ohio has done a good job insuring that both rule enforcement and mechanics are uniform across the state so that a game in Cleveland is treated the same as a game in Cincinnati regardless of the crew officiating (granting the distinction of individual officials abilities).