View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 26, 2014, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
"There is no such thing as marginal contact on a jump shooter" is the way I had it presented to me by someone I really respect, and that phrase/philosophy has stuck with me. You're right, the rulebook says incidental so if we were arguing in a court of law you win--but I think everyone understood what it meant.

I will stand by the statement though, if someone in the act of shooting gets hit, I'm calling a foul. If you're going to reply with well any and all contact includes a defenders right thumb grazing the shorts on the left leg of the shooter--well whether or not I call that depends on if the out of bounds line around the court is red, blue or green.
Sorry, I generally cringe at absolutes.

No, I'm not going to discuss the thumb graze. We let a lot of contact go in the post, even on a jump shooter, when it has no affect on the shooter or the shot.

I'm thinking more of a scenario where a defender, approaching a jump shooter, doesn't quite get his hand high enough and ends up getting it on the chest (flat hand, not pointed fingers) as the shooter releases but there is zero impact.

I'm with BNR, my threshold moves a lot as we move out towards the 3 pt arc, but it's not automatic. I've heard coaches try telling me "contact with a shooter is automatically a foul", which is just flat out wrong, but it's seemingly what is meant by the statement "There's no such thing as marginal contact on a jump shooter."

Now, if I end up working for someone who wants the game called that way, I'll adjust. I'm not ready to retire.