Thread: "touch!"
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Once you train your eyes to leave the hitter and get your eyes to the block before the ball does, it makes it a lot easier to detect touches. While you can't get every single call correct, including touches, you can certainly practice correct habits to put yourself in the best position to see them.

As for the comment, I probably wouldn't have been so direct. As a personal style, I like to employ empathy in my conversations with coaches. Depending on the situation, I'll open the door for them to communicate their views, especially on something controversial.

**Coach comes up complaining.**

If they're agitated or upset, I ask this right off the bat. It gives them a chance to speak their mind (within reason) as well as calm down. They usually have to calm down to explain their thoughts coherently. Most of the time, they appreciate the option to be heard, which is half the battle really.

"What did you see from your view?"
- Using this varies greatly. If it's very controversial, and/or I have a heated coach, I tend to use it.

I'll let them explain briefly their views, and then I say something along the lines of what's below. You acknowledge their point of view and empathize with them on the situation at hand:

"Yeah, I can see how it could have looked like that from where you were."

Then I close it by throwing the judgement phrase:

"From where I was, I didn't see a touch and from the looks of it, neither did my partner. Unfortunately, we can only can only call violations that we see."

Give the court back, and go. Handling disgruntled coaches has to be my favorite part about being the second referee. It really tests your communication, de-escalating, and behavior curving skills, and I personally like these types of challenges. I like to try new tactics, phrases to see which has the best result for my style.

So far so good!