View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 12:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I see this a lot and have been calling a "shooting foul".
Players get the point and eventually stop doing it.
Player told me "hey ref I did not hit that shooter".
I replied "You touched his chest/tummy area when he tried for a shot, I just want to see you play defense the normal way--hands extended up to contest it".
He never did it again.
Are you guys calling this a foul or are you letting defenders "slide" on this type of situation?
My partner started calling it when he saw me call it, we spoke during pre-game about these situations and confirmed that we are to be consistent.

At no time is this a foul not an intentional personal foul.

The first time I see it I will do one of two things: I will either tell the defender to knock it off if the contact did not change the play or I will call a foul in the act of shooting.

If I did not call a foul the first time I see it, the second time I see it, it will at least be a foul in the act of shooting.

The third and thereafter it will be an intentional personal foul each and every time.

When I choose to take the "warning" approach the first time I see it, I let the defender know in no uncertain terms that the contact, by definition, is an intentional personal foul, and that does make an impression on most players.

The amazing thing is that this foul is committed by male players and not female players. I cannot remember the last time I had to talk to a female player about this type of contact.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio