View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
I am looking at the DEAD BALL AND DELAYED DEAD BALL TABLE on page 35 in the 2014 NFHS RULES BOOK to address a situation in our game from today.

Bases loaded with one out. Batter hits a ground ball toward shortstop and the ball hits the runner going from second to third. The ball is called dead immediately. The runner was declared out but the question was whether or not the runner on third base scores or returns to third base. According to item #13 on the table the activity is: Fair ball touches runner before it touches an infielder or after it passes any infielder except the pitcher and another fielder has a play........5-1-1f

The Awards or Penalties says: Hit runner is out. Batter awarded first base is credited with single. Others return to base occupied at time of interference unless forced by batter-runner.

If I am understanding this correctly, the runner should have scored and not be returned to third base.

Am I missing something?
Yes - you missed this: "Others return to base occupied at time of interference" No run. Return runner to third - the base occupied at the time of interference.

West Houston Mike